West Virginia is one of the states that is a member of the New England Alliance at the start of the game. It appears exclusively within the Ohio Valley territory, but is mentioned by the European Union's faction description as having some of its land held by the EU.
Originally part of the British colony of Virginia, then the Commonwealth of Virginia, West Virginia's residents had disagreements with the Virginia government over the years. Consisting entirely of rural counties set in the Appalachian Mountains, the inhabitants of what became West Virginia came to feel that the government in Richmond did not care about them or represent their interests. When Virginia seceded from the United States to join the Confederate States of America in 1861, many of its western counties disagreed with the decision and refused to go along.
This was not universally the case; more than a few of what would later be the new state's eastern counties actually voted to remain in Virginia, but were brought along anyway because Union troops had moved into the area. A new state government was gradually formed, and in 1863 the State of West Virginia was admitted to the United States, the only state admitted to the Union during the First American Civil War.
In 2013-2014, when the United States collapsed amidst rising separatist sentiment and domestic unrest, West Virginia sided with the pro-Union New England Alliance. Part of it, to the east, was occupied by the European Union's peacekeeping force, and some of the southern end of the state became part of The Confederacy. Most of the state, including the state capitol in Charleston, became part of the NEA.
- Cities and Towns: Charleston, Morgantown, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Leadsville, Webster Springs
- Largest City: Charleston (2.5 hexes)
- Military Bases: None
- Landmarks: None
- Geographic Features: Cheat River, Monongahela River, Ohio River
- Roads and Highways: I-68, I-70, I-77, I-79, Route 13
Behind the Scenes Edit
- West Virginia is not Virginia.
- West Virginia plays a minor role in the game, with only its western half even showing up in one territory. It features no major industrial centers, military bases, or other features of particular interest to a faction, and only Charleston may be present as an objective depending on the direction the attacker is coming from, and even then, only for a small number of points.
- The strategic map at the start of the game shows West Virginia is divided among three factions. The NEA controls most of it, particularly to the north and northwest. The European Union controls the Eastern Panhandle area of the state. And to the south, in the area of McDowell County and Mercer County, a small section of West Virginia is part of The Confederacy.
- Leadsville, WV is actually Elkins, WV. The name was changed early on, when the city first began to develop.