The T-55 main battle tank is the second-best of Russia's two main battle tanks in the game. An old and out-of-date tank, it can nonetheless pose a threat against lighter ground units and can even stand up to better, heavier tanks if used in significant numbers.
- Unit Type: Heavy Armor
- Availability: Russian Federation
- Cost: $35,000
- Anti-Infantry Attack: 12
- Anti-Vehicle Attack: 16
- Anti-Air Attack: 3
- Defense Rating: 10
- Hit Points: 20
- Collateral Damage: 4
- Sight Range: 2
- Target Range: 2
- Movement Range per turn: 4
- Fuel Supply: 35
Like other MBTs in the game from its generation of heavy armor, the AMX-30 and the M60, the T-55 has long since seen its day. Old and well out-of-date in 2014, it is nonetheless capable of posing a threat on the battlefield and can engage the older heavy armor units- the Challenger 1 and the M60- on more or less equal terms. It is best suited to reserve duty, or to fighting in areas where only similarly second-rate MBTs or no enemy heavy armor at all is present. Against the FCS tanks, the EU Goliath, the Leopard 2 and the Abrams, the T-55 is at a considerable disadvantage, and in some cases, it can be destroyed with a single shot from one of those tanks.
When used in considerable numbers, the T-55 can fight competently against even newer, better tanks, and against Artillery (when the T-55 is close enough to shoot at them), Anti-Air, and Light and Medium armor units the T-55 is a dangerous enemy. However, the T-55's age means that in a battle with any of the game's newer, heavier and better tanks, the T-55 is at a disadvantage and will not be able to get through the fight without taking casualties.
The main advantage of the T-55 is its cost: $35,000 per tank versus $50,000 for a T-90. Its stats put it on equal terms with the M60 and the Challenger 1. The T-55's most significant disadvantage is its Movement Rate: 4 hex spaces per turn, the worst of any standard MBT in the game. Only the super-heavy FCS Hood and FCS Grant have that movement rate. Because of its mediocre movement rate, the T-55 will have difficulty going anywhere in a hurry and is best-suited to simply digging in and defending some specific location or another.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The T-55 is the most mass-produced tank in history, with production estimates ranging between 86,000 and 100,000 tanks of its type or the near-identical T-54.
- Despite weighing 36 tons, the same weight as the French-made AMX 30, the T-55 is classed as Heavy Armor while the AMX 30 is classed as Medium Armor.
- Because the T-55 appears only in the final mission of the campaign and in multiplayer, it is impossible for it to achieve either of the two veteran unit levels seen in the campaign. However, given the similarity of its stats to those of the M60, it can be assumed that a veteran T-55's stats would resemble those of an equivalent veteran M60.
- The T-55 first entered service in 1949 as the T-54; it was developed as the successor to the T-34 of World War II fame. The T-55 was an update to the T-54, featuring such improvements as a revolving turret floor; previously the turret crew had to re-position themselves as the turret moved.
- The T-55 is a unique case, where one unit in the game is responsible for the existence of another: the adoption of the T-55 among the armies of the Warsaw Pact in the 1950s prompted the United States to modernize the M48 Patton, which resulted in the creation of the M60.