The Challenger 1 is one of three heavy armor units available to the European Union. It is an older and less powerful tank than the EU Goliath and the Leopard 2, but has a faster movement rate than either of them. The Challenger 1 performs well against infantry, light and medium-armored vehicles, but is at a disadvantage against the newer M1 Abrams and the FCS tanks in use with the various American factions. Overall, the Challenger 1's best equivalent is the M60 Patton.
- Unit Type: Heavy Armor
- Availability: European Union
- Cost: $36,000
- Anti-Infantry Attack: 10
- Anti-Vehicle Attack: 16
- Anti-Air Attack: 6
- Defense Rating: 10
- Hit Points: 20
- Collateral Damage: 4
- Sight Range: 2
- Target Range: 2
- Movement Range per Turn: 6
- Fuel Supply: 35
The Challenger 1 is a capable but outdated tank, much like the M60 and the T-55, the other two older Heavy Armor units featured in the game. Its statistics are comparable to the T-55 and M60, but it is faster at a movement rate of 6 hexes per turn. The Challenger is one of the fastest Heavy Armor units in the game, matched only by the FCS Jackson, the T-90, and the Abrams.
The Challenger 1 offers greater fuel capacity than any of the other tanks capable of moving 6 hexes per turn- 35 instead of 30. The Challenger will be at a disadvantage if put up against newer and better tanks like the Abrams, the T-90, or the various FCS tanks, but it can hold its own in combat, especially if it survives to Experienced or Veteran status.
The Challenger 1 is best used in roles where its main advantage- speed and fuel supply- can best benefit an EU force in the field. Challenger 1's can move to take objectives off to the side of the direction of the main force, or race ahead of the slower Leopard 2's or Goliaths to make first contact.
If a Challenger 1 is promoted to Veteran I or Veteran II status, its Hit Points and Fuel Supply increase each time. Its upgraded stats for each level of Veterancy status are:
- Experienced- Hit Points: X, Fuel Supply: X
- Veteran- Hit Points: X, Fuel Supply: X
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Within Europe, the Challenger 1 was exclusively used by the British Army. So while the actual nationality of some EU units may not always be clear (The Leopard 2 has been adopted by multiple EU members besides Germany), any Challenger 1's seen in game would belong to the British Army.
- The Challenger 1 was the main battle tank of the British Army from 1983 to the mid-1990s, when it began to be replaced by the Challenger 2, and it left British Army service entirely in 2001. Since "Shattered Union" is set in 2014, it is odd that the British Army- the only military force in Europe ever to use the Challenger 1- contributed the older, out-of-service Challenger 1 to the EU's expeditionary force to North America but not the modern, in-service Challenger 2.
- A single Challenger 1 appears in the opening cinematic of the game; strangely, it is part of an unidentified American faction's group of tanks on a highway.