The campaign is the main feature of the game. It begins in a fictional 2014, in which the United States has fractured into six different countries following a chain of events that built over the past several years, and was set off by the nuclear detonation that destroyed Washington, D.C.
- Introduction Cutscene: "Following a disputed election, and a tie vote, the U.S. Congress installs the most unpopular President in U.S. history, as David Jefferson Adams becomes the 44th President of the United States. Shortly after the election, increased unrest, rioting, and a growing number of militias have given rise to ever-increasing domestic terrorism. In response, the President invokes the Homeland Security Act, and declares martial law on the West Coast, and other areas of the country. Though highly contested, a Supreme Court ruling sidesteps the electoral process, disqualifying popular Presidential candidates from several states. Public outrage explodes when a sham election leads to incumbent David Adams accepting a second term in office. During the 57th Inauguration Day ceremonies, Washington, D.C. is struck by a low-yield nuclear weapon, killing David Adams and most of the U.S. Congress. The destruction of Washington, D.C. effectively breaks the chain of succession, sending the nation into chaos. In an emergency vote, the European Union deploys peacekeepers to the greater D.C. area, to secure international interests. With separatist sentiment rising, California's governor declares home rule, and secedes from the Union. Texas follows quickly, and declares sovereignty, taking neighboring states with them and forming the Republic of Texas. Now- the once-United States of America lie in ruin. The time for words is past, and a Second American Civil War now erupts as seven factions wage war across the land. They battle one another to reclaim a nation, to restore peace- to rebuild this shattered Union."
Timeline of Events
- 2008- David Jefferson Adams wins the disputed 2008 Presidential election.
- 2010- Unrest, rioting, and domestic terrorism rises within the United States.
- 2011- President Adams invokes the Homeland Security Act and declares martial law in a number of areas in the United States, namely the West Coast.
- November 2012- A sham election hands President Adams a second term, which he accepts, infuriating the American public.
- January 20, 2013- A low-yield nuclear weapon is detonated at ground level in Washington, D.C. during the 57th Inauguration Day ceremonies, killing President Adams and the majority of the United States Congress.
- January 28, 2013- Following an emergency vote, the European Union invades and occupies Washington, D.C. and the surrounding area; the peacekeeping force it sends is tasked with suppressing the chaos and restoring the Union.
- April 15, 2013- The Governor of California declares home rule, and California secedes from the United States. Several neighboring states follow and create the California Commonwealth.
- April 17, 2013- Texas and their neighboring states secede from the United States, re-forming the Republic of Texas.
- 2014- The Second American Civil War begins.
- Week 4- Russian Federation invades and occupies Alaska, with Russian President Nikolai Vladekov claiming that "Alaska was never really part of the former U.S., and Russia is only taking back its former territory." The United Nations makes no comment at the time.
- Week 10- INTERPOL announce that Nikolai Vladekov masterminded the nuclear bombing of Washington, D.C., and has been engaged in black market arms dealing for nearly 30 years. Massive protests in Russia force Vladekov to declare martial law in Moscow.
- The player may take control of any of the seven factions fighting for control of the former continental United States: the European Union, the Great Plains Federation, The Confederacy, the Republic of Texas, the California Commonwealth, Pacifica, or the New England Alliance.
- Russia is unavailable to the player, appearing as an AI enemy in the game's final battle. It is a playable faction in the game's multiplayer.
- Types: Infantry, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Anti-Air, Artillery, Aircraft, Helicopter, Single-Use
- Number: 45 maximum for a deploying force, on attack or defense, not including units added through Special Powers or Russian Aid.
- Time Limit: 14 days
- Offensive Objective: Take enough designated objectives to gain the required number of points within the time limit, or destroy all of the enemy units deployed into the battle.
- Defensive Objective: Deny the enemy enough designated objectives to prevent them from gaining the required number of points within the time limit, or destroy all of the enemy units deployed into the battle.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Diplomacy does not exist anywhere in the game. Even factions that are stated as wanting the Union restored- namely the New England Alliance and the European Union- cannot form an alliance or even a truce. All seven factions are permanently at war and must fight until only one remains.