Alaska is an unplayable faction in Shattered Union. It exists in a kind of limbo for 4 weeks as the American Civil War begins, having made no move to secede as the United States collapsed around it, before it is invaded and occupied by an expansionist Russian Federation.
Alaska has no faction units or powers, and in-game exists only as a single occupied territory that the player faction must seek to liberate from Russian control.
Admitted into the Union in 1959, Alaska is the 49th state to join the United States of America. Amidst rising secessionist sentiment, Alaska's reaction and the desires of its people are unspecified as other states leave the United States. Early on in the Second American Civil War, Russia invades Alaska under President Nikolai Vladekov's personal direction. Vladekov, a former Soviet Army general and hard-line communist, is quoted to state in regards to the annexation: "Alaska was never really part of the former U.S., and Russia is only taking back its former territory."
Resistance to the Russian invasion did occur, but was scattered and disorganized, leaving the invasion relatively unopposed. Alaska remains under Russian occupation for however long the player takes to re-unify the former 50 states under their faction, and musters a force to drive the Russians out. Alaska is either liberated and joins the re-formed United States if the player's faction succeeds, or is successfully annexed into the Russian Federation if the player's faction fails.
Features On-Map Edit
- Cities and Towns: Tok, Delta Junction, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Mentasta Lake, Anderson, Nenana, Glenallen, Valdez
- Military Bases: Eielson Air Force Base
- Geographic Features: Alaska Range (Mountains), Brooks Range (Mountains), Wrangell Mountains, Talkeetna Mountains, Mount Sanford, Denali Summit, Tanana River, Copper River, Susitna River, Portage Glacier
- Roads and Highways: I-1, I-2, I-3, Route 4
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Valdez, Alaska is shown to be inaccessible by land, with no roads leading in or out. There is a single road system built to reach it, but the area it runs through is not shown on the in-game map.
- The name of the Russian single-use infantry unit, "Sympathizers", suggests that some of the people in Alaska allied themselves with the Russians during the occupation.